For most people, life is very busy and it seems that, no matter how many hours there are in every day, there’s never enough time to get everything done. But one thing I do every day to help keep me on track is to start with a “To Do” List.
Having a list helps me remember everything I’d like to accomplish and gives me the opportunity to prioritise, plan and organise my day. So here are some things I do or consider when creating my list:
- I write my “To Do” list the night before. It only takes 5 – 10 minutes and, with everyone tucked into bed, it allows me to create my list with a clear head. I then sleep peacefully knowing I’m organised for the next day and there’ll be no frantic panic in the morning or time wasted.
- I only use ONE list. It’s easy to have little lists all over the place, often on yellow sticky notes … one in the office, one in the kitchen, one in your handbag and so on. This for me has always been a recipe for disaster especially if any of those little lists gets lost.
- I like to prioritise my list. I start with the most important item and then list everything else in order of importance. I tackle the top item first before moving on and I also make sure I don’t keep pushing a difficult or frustrating job to the bottom of the list (otherwise it will stay on the list forever). I try to get the important stuff out of the way first. I also attend to urgent emails and phone calls early so I have the rest of the day for follow up if needed.
- I like to plan ahead. I always check my diary when writing my “To Do” list so that I can keep an eye on what’s coming up for the week. This helps me to be prepared and reduces the likelihood that I’ll get swamped and overwhelmed.
- And lastly, I try to be realistic! I always remind myself, if I don’t get to the bottom of the list today, there’s always tomorrow. Every day won’t always go as planned and some things will need to be carried over to the next day … and that’s ok!
A “To Do” List is a simple tool to help you get organised and it certainly feels great to tick off those items one by one as you work towards the bottom of the list.
I’ve designed and created 2 versions of my “To Do” List for you to download ABSOLUTELY FREE! Please feel free to share with family and friends. Simply click on the links below:
So tell me, do you use a “To Do” list and what’s your top tip for getting stuff done?
Please Note: All downloads and printables are free for personal use only. Once printed, the colour may vary from the colour seen on your computer screen. This product may also be printed in black and white by adjusting the settings on your computer and has been designed to print on a standard A4 page. If you would like to share any of these items on your website or blog, please contact me first. Thank you.