My slow cooker really is my best friend because it allows me to combine beautiful fresh ingredients with my choice of meat to produce delicious, hearty, healthy meals. It saves me heaps of time and also saves money because cheaper cuts of meat can be used.
This is a yummy dish that will warm tummies in winter. It’s super easy and once you’ve bought the lamb shanks, most other ingredients will be in the pantry and vegetable crisper in the fridge. And the thing I love most about these type of dishes is that you can add almost any vegetable you like to suit your own taste. If serving this dish to kids, you may like to leave out the cooking sherry/red wine. Enjoy!
- 4 lamb shanks
- 2 medium onions, sliced thickly
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 800g can crushed tomatoes
- 1 ½ cups water
- ½ cup cooking sherry/red wine
- 3 sticks celery, chopped thickly
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and chopped into large chunks
- 2 beef stock cubes, crushed
- 2 large bay leaves
- ½ tablespoon dried rosemary
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
- 400g can chickpeas
- Place all ingredients in the slow cooker and cook on low for 8 hours.
- To thicken, mix equal parts of cornflour and water, add to the slow cooker and thicken to the desired consistency.
- Serve with cauliflower mash, cauliflower and white sauce or mashed potatoes and your favourite green vegetables.
Clever Tricks, Tips and Hints …
- There will usually be a fair amount of sauce left over after serving the lamb shanks. I usually keep this for the next night and add some diced chicken to create a second meal and eliminate waste.
If you enjoy lamb, you might also like these recipes: