This is a great recipe for those nights you’ve arrived home from work, tired and not sure what you’re going to cook for dinner. One-Pot Chicken Casserole requires just a few simple ingredients to create a delicious, rich casserole that will tempt event the fussiest eater. Add all the ingredients to a single pot, let it simmer for just under an hour and let dinner take care of itself.
I like to use “Lovely Legs” for this recipe, which I usually buy from Woolworths. They are super tender, the skin has already been removed and, at around $6/kilo, they’re not too expensive. Enjoy!
- 10 – 12 chicken lovely legs (skin removed)
- 1 x 440g can crushed tomatoes
- 2 onions, chopped in large pieces
- 1 ½ cups water
- 1 chicken stock cube
- ¼ cup red wine (or cooking sherry)
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- ½ tablespoon thyme
- ½ tablespoon parsley
- cracked black pepper, pinch
- 8 – 10 medium mushrooms, peeled and chopped into large pieces
- ⅓ cup cornflour
- water, extra to blend with cornflour
- Combine all ingredients in a large pot, except the mushrooms and the cornflour.
- Bring to the boil and then gently simmer for approximately ¾ hour or until chicken is cooked through.
- Add mushrooms in the final 3 – 4 minutes.
- Blend the cornflour and extra water to a smooth paste and add to the casserole to thicken just before serving.
- Serve with steamed rice and your favourite steamed vegetables.
If you like this recipe, you might also enjoy these: