Easter is hopping closer (pardon the pun) so it’s the perfect time to do some baking and get in the spirit. This is my family’s Vanilla Cupcake recipe that’s been floating around for years … and for good reason! It’s light, it’s fluffy, it’s absolutely delicious and it’s also a simple recipe that can be made and decorated for any occasion.
I found these cute little Malteser Bunnies at the supermarket and with a little bit of icing and some pink sprinkles, they were just perfect to create a little Easter treat for the kids.
- ½ cup butter, room temperature
- ½ cup castor sugar
- 2 eggs, room temperature, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence/extract
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 cup self-raising flour, sifted
- Preheat oven to 170C and line a 12-hole muffin tray with cupcake wrappers.
- Place butter and castor sugar in a bowl and cream together with an electric mixer until pale and fluffy. This may take a few minutes and scrap down the side of the bowl regularly with a spatula during mixing.
- Add the eggs, vanilla essence and milk and whisk for a further 2 minutes.
- Remove bowl from the mixer, add the self-raising flour and gently fold it into the mixture.
- Using two dessert spoons, transfer the mixture to the cupcake wrappers filling each one approximately two thirds full.
- Bake for approximately 15 – 16 minutes, inserting a skewer, which should come out cleanly, to test the cupcakes are cooked.
- Remove cupcakes from oven and transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- Decorate and enjoy!